Tuesday, February 20, 2024




                                                  After today's track workout

Today I was going to follow and complete the Week 2 track workout from Bill Collins's book. The workout was supposed to be 15 x 300 meter dashes, with 2 minutes rest in between. I ended up only being able to do 8 of them, but not because I was too tired. The field was being prepped for a home lacrosse game, so there was a lot of action on the field and, consequently, on the track, as little carts were circling around delivering coolers and equipment. The last straw for me was a couple of giant blowers that were employed to blow the plastic black bits from the track onto the field . . . or maybe it was the opposite, IDK what was happening. They were warming up the scoreboard, blasting music (not a deal killer, some songs were cool). The track was kind of a hot mess today--we had snow on Saturday and some of it was still evident in lanes 1 and 2 on the shady section of the track. There were also some bits of trash, and little drifts of the aforementioned black plastic bits that I think come from the astroturf of the playing field. 

It was cold today. I got on the track at 11:00, and I think it was 35 degrees. I ran in shorts today, as it was sunny, and I really couldn't feel any wind. Also, I came from my Tuesday Pilates lesson with Meagan, so I was already warmed up (also I had run to the Pilates studio from home). I was slightly confused by the directions for the spilts today, as the book says run at a pace so as you can complete all 15 reps, at about the pace or a little faster of your 3 mile run average. At the gym this weekend, I consciously set my Apple watch to catch my times for each of the three miles I ran--I was able (with concentrated effort) to run 3 miles at 8:10 each (with the tready set at a level 2 incline). Collins recommends that your average run for 3 miles should be 24 minutes. So, I think I am already at that level of conditioning. But getting back to the math issue--I had to extrapolate how that time would give me the pace for the 300 meter splits today. I figured I needed to run each around 1:55 (which actually seemed like it would be too easy, based on what I was able to do with last week's intervals of 400s). I ended up running like this today (incidentally, my rest between each was a minute and half, NOT the full 2 minutes):

First 300m: 1:11
Second: 1.14
Third: 1:11
Fourth: 1:10
Fifth: 1:11
Six: 1:06
Seventh: 1:11
Eights: 1:07

I wish I could have finished all 15 today. I will go back Thursday and do another 8. I have no idea if I should be pushing myself for faster splits . . . I think I could go faster  . . . I am just slightly paranoid about going too fast and getting injured (especially in the cold weather, which, by the bye, I'm totally over). 

One other bit of business I am struggling with is trying to figure out the markings on the UPenn track. I can definitely find the finish line, so I know where to start and stop a 400 meter run. And I think I found the mark in lanes 1, 2, 3, and 4 where you hit 300 meters. I Googled this morning to find what I could about how to figure out track markings, but, wouldn't you know, they are not entirely standard from track to track. I did find this easy map online:


Referring to this map, I expected to find a 300 meter start position on the UPenn track (see top right above) from which I could start and run to Finish line. There was, however, no such marking in that area on the track. Also, the starting/finish line at UPenn is more centered than you see above, like set more to the left if you look at the picture. So I started at the start/finish line and ran counter clockwise to almost all the way through the second turn (there is a little "300" marked in the lanes over there). I would like to confirm that that is how you measure a 300 on the UPenn track . . . but I don't know who to ask. 

Last Friday I sent another email to a contact at the Greater Philadelphia Track Club (the one Bill Yelverton belongs to--he suggested to me in an email last October I reach out to the club, but I never got a reply). I did get a speedy reply this time, and I learned that they have team practice every Sunday at 8:00 a.m. at a track in Chestsnut Hill (a 30 minute drive from home). I was thinking about going Sunday, but with the snow we had on Saturday, and the 25 degree temp reading Sunday morning, I passed. I also sent a couple of email queries to the Philly Masters Track Club in October, but never got replies. I send another one on Friday, but still no reply, so I am guessing it's . . . defunct?  I'm not sure how necessary it is to belong to a club, as I think you can compete in meets as "unattached." It might be helpful, though, to connect to others around my age who are training, as I am sprinting in the dark at this point in time. Well, not the total dark--I have the Collins book, and I can also see what Bill Yelverton is doing for his track workouts, as he generously posts them on his blog Sprint Forever.  His workouts, I'm not going to lie, are a little intimidating. His is currently competing in the indoor track season, so he's in top shape. I cannot believe how fast he can run--at 63! It's so inspiring. I really am very curious about how fast I might be able to run a 400 meters as I approach 60. But for now I need to stay focused, patient, and steady. I need to build up my endurance and eventually (hopefully when it's warmer) start sprinting shorter distances to see what my moving parts can do!  

My Pilates lesson was awesome this morning. Pilates has really built my body awareness, along with my core strength. A series of teasers now feels like a breeze. I am also more flexible now than I have been in my entire life. I am so grateful I discovered Pilates, and that I have stuck with it for a solid 2 years now. I'm so so lucky to have Megan Gilmartin as my instructor, too. What a gift it all is! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog