Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Recovery and Strength Building 

For the past week or so (since last post), I have been in recovery and strengthening mode. I have been doing cardio work at the gym on stair machine--30 minutes of good cardio building. I have been doing my Pilates lessons and mat, and doing weights for my body, and the hamstring strengthening exercises every other day. Sunday I went to track practice, and I was able to complete the workout that Lorraine brought. It was two 200 meters (both at like 40 seconds), with 2 minutes between, then five minute rest, then a 400 (1:30), a 300 (1:00), a 400 (1:30) (with 2 minutes between each). Ten minutes rest, then two 200 meters (34). My hamstring did not bother me--though in the last 200 and in the following cool down, I started to "feel" it--it was getting tight and a little achy.  The running felt good--great to be on the track again. Here are the times:

First two 200 meters: 37 seconds and 37 seconds

First 400: 1:27

300 meters: 58 seconds

Second 400: 1:22

Last two 200s: 34 and 32 seconds respectively

Alison had raced on Friday before, so she only did the first two 200s. A 62-year-old teammate (Bruce) ran with us, and he's a fast sprinter. He did the last 200 meters in like 31 seconds, made it look easy. I feel really lucky that I get to benefit from Lorraine's workouts (which she gets from her coach), and the push I get executing the workout from her and, this past Sunday, Bruce. He ran at Penn Relays in the 4x4 relay, and ran really strong,  like 1:01 or so for his 400 leg. He's an inspiration--looks and moves much younger than 62, and he is a really strong athlete. 

This Sunday is the meet. I will only run the 400 meters. I'm excited and nervous. I really hope my hamstring allows another strong race! I'd love to improve my time (which is still the time from my one and only official race on June 2-- 1:03.35). 

Here are some pics from Sunday's track workout:




and the team:





Comments

  1. Jeff - I am 63 and 400 meters is the race I am best at too. My last Junior College track meet was 1981. My first Masters Track meet was 2015. I finally am starting up again now post Covid. Hope to race in some Minneapolis meets late July. I sprint train twice per week and aim for 84 hours of recovery. I did lower body strength training this winter when everything outdoors here is covered with snow. At my age I will just sprint twice per week and then go back to strength this winter. I have found focus on recovery is more important than workouts. Avoiding injury is the primary goal. I sprinted yesterday, today I will auqua jog and swim in the pool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Terry! Thanks for your comment--it really helps me to learn about other sprinter's experiences. I appreciate it! The aqua jog sounds interesting, I will have to give it a try. Thanks again and great luck on the track!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog