Thursday, February 15, 2024

Completed my first "official" track workout today. I am following the weekly training guide laid out in Bill Collins's book The Ageless Athletic Spirit (for now, anyway). Pilates (core work), running on the tready & outdoors every day, as well as weight training have already been a regular part of my life for two and half years at this point, so I feel pretty confident that I should be able to follow the track workouts described in his book (even though he is an ex-Olympian, and even though he was, I believe, a couple or a few years younger than I am now when he wrote the book/laid out the workouts). 

Today was cold! 34 degrees with 57% humidity, a slight wind. I was a bit apprehensive before the workout, as I thought running in the cold would be brutal.  However, once I got into it, I was fine (especially with my running pants on, a couple of layers on top). I wore my new Hoka Rocket X2 shoes (recommended by Bill Yelverton on his blog Sprint Forever). The shoes were great! Super light, with strong support. Before today's track workout, I ran to Drexel (I think it's about a mile and a half), and did my Pilates session with Megan. She gave me some new "step up" routines on the chair that felt really good--these seem like they will be a great addition to the routine, building strength and coordination for the start position from blocks or from a sprinter's stance on the track. 

The Collins workout at week 1 calls for 8 x 400 meters, run at a 90 second pace, with 2 minutes of rest between each. 

First 400m: 87 seconds (1:27) 

Second: 1:20

Third: 1:23 

Fourth: 1:22

Fifth: 1:23

Sixth: 1:24

Seventh: 1:22

Eighth: 1:23

I was pleasantly surprised by my ability today. Before I even started the workout I was telling myself maybe I should shoot for 100 seconds or 110 seconds for each 400m. But after my first run around the track, at 87 seconds, I decided to go for it, to keep each 400 meters under 90 if at all possible. When I finished my fourth 400m, I thought I would stop for the day, but I decided to push on at a slower pace/effort. However, when I finished the fifth at 83 seconds, I thought, what the hell, let me try. And I did it! I am pleased with my effort, my ability, and with the relative ease with which my body moves around the track. I was definitely feeling very "breathy" after my last couple of 400s, but no pain or anything like that in my limbs or joints. 


                                        After my cooldown today--grateful for my healthy body! 

                                                                   @Franklin Field, UPenn



Close-up of my new racing shoes (I think these will be "track only" shoes--I will stick to my Hoka Bondi 8 pair for the tready and outdoor runs). Also, today I used my cool new little finger stopwatch, and it worked out great! Super simple to use. I did set up a custom interval run workout for this particular track workout on my Apple Watch, but honestly, it just didn't work for me. I recorded my times with Voice Memos on my watch instead. 

The other day at the gym I tried a few of the weight exercises recommend by Collins. I did the Breathe-Downs on the flat bench with just the bar (thought if would be EASY, but with the bringing the bar down slowly for 6-8 seconds, coupled with 5 sets of 8 reps--I was feeling it!); Push-Outs (dumbbell held at chest between hands, push out and hold for a six count, 4 sets of 6-8 reps) (also harder than I thought); and Overhead Lifts (dumbbell behind neck, lift dumbbell above head) (hard--he suggested men start with a 25 pound bell and do 40 lifts! I started with 15 pounds and split it into 3 sets of about 10 reps). My own weight lifting routine is pretty varied and challenging . . . I will continue to add his suggestions into what I already do, but I think I will add one or two of his exercises to my existing routine each time rather than trying to do three or four of his suggestions all in one gym visit. 

I have also been timing myself more consistently as I run on the treadmill. I am averaging mile paces at about 8:10, with the incline level set to 2, completing at least 3 miles each run.  I think that that part of my conditioning is pretty in line with the level Collins suggests a man around age 57 should be able to handle to begin the interval track training program. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog